July 31, 2020
7/31/2020 Update – Visitation Guidelines
The PA Department of Health has recently allowed nursing homes that meet certain strict requirements to permit outdoor family visitation. Such visitation is being organized under guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal agency that oversees nursing home care.
Barclay Friends has created this guide to help family and friends plan safe and successful visits with their loved ones.
- Each resident may have one 20-minute visit per week
- Up to two family members may visit each time.
- Visits must be scheduled in advance. Barclay Friends will call the primary contact in each family to schedule an initial visit. No unscheduled visits will be permitted.
- Visitors must be at least 12 years old.
- At this time, no pet visits are permitted.
- A Plexiglass shield will be used to create a six-foot separation.
- Touching, kissing, and hugging are not permitted at this time. Any resident who has had physical or close contact with a visitor will be quarantined following the visit for 14 days.
- No exchange of gifts or other items are permitted at this time.
- Any violation of visitation guidelines may result in cancellation of future visits.
- Any outbreak of one or more cases at Barclay Friends OR Chester County returning to a Red Phase of the Governor’s Re-Opening Plan will result in all visits being cancelled until further notice..
- Barclay Friends will inform you of available slots for your visit.
- Prior to your visit, please monitor your temperature. An elevated temperature of 100 or higher will prevent you from being able to visit.
- Know your date and appointment time. We cannot re-schedule for the same day if you are late or miss your appointment.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged.
- Check the weather. Severe weather such as thunderstorms, heavy rain, or wind may result in cancelation of outdoor visits.
- Have a mask washed and ready.
- If you need to cancel, please call our main number at 610-696-5211 as soon as possible.
- Please arrive at least ten minutes prior to your scheduled time for pre-screening. If you are late, you will miss part of your 20-minute allotted visit time.
- Upon arriving in the driveway, put on your mask and drive around the circle to the front entrance. Do not get out of your car until you are cleared to visit.
- Call the main number at 610-696-5211 and let the receptionist know you are here.
- A staff person will give you a surgical mask to use during your visit and will ask each person visiting to complete a screening questionnaire. You will have your temperature taken. Anyone with symptoms or a temperature of 100 or above will not be able to visit as planned.
- Once the screening is completed, you can park your car. A staff member will escort you to the designated visiting area.
- Your loved one will be brought outside once family members are seated behind a plexiglass barrier. You must keep your face mask on during the visit.
At the Conclusion of Your Visit
- A visit monitor will inform you when the 20 minutes are over.
- Your loved one will be escorted back to their room.
The seating area will be sanitized by the visit monitor prior to the next visitor’s arrival.
As you know, there are widespread outbreaks of COVID-19 in various places around the world and in the United States. Because older adults are at significantly higher risk of serious illness and death if infected with this virus, the Federal Government through The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has instructed all Nursing Homes to make restrictions.
Please refer to the FAQ below to see what our community is doing about this situation.
What is COVID-19?
In a time when misinformation is too easy to find, we ask that you please refer to a trusted source such as https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-NCOV/FAQ.HTML#basics for information and updates on this virus.
What is Barclay Friends doing to prepare?
The health and safety of our residents is paramount. To make sure we are doing everything possible to prepare for an outbreak, we formed a Coronavirus Task Force in the first week of March. Measures we’ve put in place include:
- Restricting visitors from our building
- Health screening for authorized employees every time they come in to work
- Cancelling all public events and committee meetings until further notice
What can I do?
We encourage the members of our greater community to follow common practices to prevent the spread of this virus. Including:
- Hand washing often and for at least 20 seconds
- Coughing/sneezing into your elbow
- Maintain clean and sanitary surfaces in your home and work space
- Stay in your residence if you are sick or have been around someone who has been exposed to COVID-19 within the last 14 days
- Social distancing, staying 6 feet apart from people – whether it be at home, in the work place or out in public
Support our Emergency Fund
We anticipate in the days and weeks ahead that we will need additional resources to support our operations and the direct care staff who are working diligently to protect residents. Financial needs include: purchase of technology to help residents communicate with friends and family members, support for staff needing emergency childcare arrangements, and purchase of additional emergency preparedness equipment.
Again, these new interventions will place a tremendous strain on our resources. Our budget allows for standard protective procedures, and even natural disasters, but this level of threat is unprecedented.
Please consider helping us continue to care for residents and staff by making a gift today at the link below.
We also welcome any notes of support directed to residents and/or staff!
Want to stay updated?
Fill out the form to receive updates from Barclay Friends.