July 31, 2020
The PA Department of Health has recently allowed nursing homes that meet certain strict requirements to permit outdoor family visitation. Such visitation is being organized under guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal agency that oversees nursing home care.
Barclay Friends has created this guide to help family and friends plan safe and successful visits with their loved ones.
- Each resident may have one 20-minute visit per week
- Up to two family members may visit each time.
- Visits must be scheduled in advance. Barclay Friends will call the primary contact in each family to schedule an initial visit. No unscheduled visits will be permitted.
- Visitors must be at least 12 years old.
- At this time, no pet visits are permitted.
- A Plexiglass shield will be used to create a six-foot separation.
- Touching, kissing, and hugging are not permitted at this time. Any resident who has had physical or close contact with a visitor will be quarantined following the visit for 14 days.
- No exchange of gifts or other items are permitted at this time.
- Any violation of visitation guidelines may result in cancellation of future visits.
- Any outbreak of one or more cases at Barclay Friends OR Chester County returning to a Red Phase of the Governor’s Re-Opening Plan will result in all visits being cancelled until further notice..
- Barclay Friends will inform you of available slots for your visit.
- Prior to your visit, please monitor your temperature. An elevated temperature of 100 or higher will prevent you from being able to visit.
- Know your date and appointment time. We cannot re-schedule for the same day if you are late or miss your appointment.
- Make sure your cell phone is charged.
- Check the weather. Severe weather such as thunderstorms, heavy rain, or wind may result in cancelation of outdoor visits.
- Have a mask washed and ready.
- If you need to cancel, please call our main number at 610-696-5211 as soon as possible.
- Please arrive at least ten minutes prior to your scheduled time for pre-screening. If you are late, you will miss part of your 20-minute allotted visit time.
- Upon arriving in the driveway, put on your mask and drive around the circle to the front entrance. Do not get out of your car until you are cleared to visit.
- Call the main number at 610-696-5211 and let the receptionist know you are here.
- A staff person will give you a surgical mask to use during your visit and will ask each person visiting to complete a screening questionnaire. You will have your temperature taken. Anyone with symptoms or a temperature of 100 or above will not be able to visit as planned.
- Once the screening is completed, you can park your car. A staff member will escort you to the designated visiting area.
- Your loved one will be brought outside once family members are seated behind a plexiglass barrier. You must keep your face mask on during the visit.
At the Conclusion of Your Visit
- A visit monitor will inform you when the 20 minutes are over.
- Your loved one will be escorted back to their room.
The seating area will be sanitized by the visit monitor prior to the next visitor’s arrival.